Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know
Iowa Department of Health and Human Services

Frequently Asked Questions

As of July 1, 2023,  Professional Licensing and other health and occupational licenses will become part of the Iowa Department of Inspections,  Appeals, and Licensing (DIAL) as a new organizational structure for state government goes into effect. Government departments and agencies that provide related services or have similar business functions are aligning to better serve Iowans.  You can expect the same quality services you get now from HHS to continue as usual. 

How do I get back into my account if I am locked out?

Call OCIO for username and password at 1-800-532-1174.

Who do I contact if I have questions?

Email or call 515-281-5703.

How can I make an address and/or name change?

Any time there is an address and/or name change, it is up to you to let the board office know within 30 days of the change. Complete the "Name & Address Change" form

How can I get a duplicate license?

You can print a duplicate wallet card by accessing the Board’s online services webpage at: The fee for a new wall certificate is $20.00 per request.

What are the required courses for mandatory reporters of child and adult abuse?

Required Courses for Mandatory Reporters of Child and Adult Abuse

What are the requirements for licensure in another state?

You will need to contact the board in that state and find out the requirements. Our verification fee for verifying your license to another state is $20.00.

How do I verify a license for a licensed professional?

Go to 


Over the Counter Hearing Aids FAQ

With recent changes related to over the counter hearing aids, the Iowa Board of Speech Pathology and Audiology has posted some frequently asked questions.

ASHA has provided the following guidance:

Is a “hearing aid use authorization,” “hearing aid certificate of need,” or other “order” by a licensed practitioner necessary for selling and dispensing prescription hearing aids?

Yes. Federal regulations now require that prescription hearing aids be sold only upon an “order” from a practitioner. See 21 C.F.R. § 801.109. The FDA has clarified that a “hearing aid use authorization” or “hearing aid certificate of need” issued by a licensed audiologist or licensed hearing aid specialist satisfies the “order” requirement. A licensed audiologist may, after performing a hearing examination, issue a “hearing aid use authorization” or “hearing aid certificate of need” to a person who would benefit from a prescription hearing aid.

Re: the formatting of this- according to the final rule, this order can be either written or oral:

“Additionally, we note that prescription hearing aids will require a written or oral authorization from a practitioner licensed by law to administer the device (see § 801.109)”- Federal Register :: Medical Devices; Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Establishing Over-the-Counter Hearing Aids.

The FDA did not say that providers must issue a certificate or other documentation to satisfy the prescription designation. It would be up to the state to determine if documentation is required. The FDA does not require it."

Iowa HHS Bureau of Professional Licensure

Riverpoint Office Complex
400 SW 8th Street Suite D
Des Moines, Iowa 50309

Phone: (515) 281-0254
Fax: (515) 281-7969

Online Licensure Services:


Office Hours:
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding state holidays