Iowa Board of Behavioral Science - FAQs

FAQs for Temporary License

What is a temporary license?

A temporary license is a license to practice marital and family therapy or mental health counseling under direct supervision of a qualified supervisor as determined by the board by rule to fulfill the postgraduate supervised clinical experience requirement.

Who can apply for a temporary license?

Any person who has fulfilled all of the requirements for Mental Health Counselor or Marital and Family Therapy licensure, except for having completed the postgraduate supervised clinical experience requirement and the exam, may apply to the board for a temporary license.

Do I have to apply for a temporary license?

You do not have to apply for a temporary license and can complete a clinical experience under the exemption provided for in Iowa Code Chapter 154D.4,2,b. You may want to consult with your employer to determine what they require.

Do I need to have an education review completed by the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE) to obtain a temporary license?

If you graduated from a counseling program that was not accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), specifically in Mental Health Counseling, you must present with your state licensure application an equivalency evaluation of your educational credentials completed by CCE. Some colleges and universities have more than one type of counseling program. Others hold CACREP accreditation in some programs but not in others. You are exempt from the CCE equivalency evaluation only if you meet both of the following criteria: (1) you graduated from a program in Mental Health Counseling, and (2) the Mental Health Counseling Program was CACREP-accredited at the time of your graduation. If you are unsure, check directly with the Mental Health Counseling Program director at your institution or check the CACREP Directory of Accredited Programs website.

Can I apply for a temporary license after I complete my postgraduate supervised clinical experience if I fail the examination?

No. A temporary license will be issued to an individual to fulfill the supervised clinical experience requirement for licensure under direct supervision of a qualified supervisor. A temporary license will not be issued or renewed if the supervised clinical experience has been met.

How long is a temporary license good for?

A temporary license for the purpose of fulfilling the postgraduate supervised clinical experience requirement is valid for three years and may be renewed at the discretion of the board.

If I have completed my clinical experience requirements and am already licensed in another state can I be issued a temporary license?

No. A temporary license will be issued to an individual to fulfill the supervised clinical experience requirement for licensure under direct supervision of a qualified supervisor.

If I have already completed a portion of my supervision do I need to have the remaining hours of supervision approved to obtain a temporary license?

If you have completed a portion of your supervision prior to applying for a temporary license you should submit an “Attestation of Supervision” form to request approval of the hours of supervision already completed and submit an “Attestation of Supervision” form to request approval of the supervisor(s) that will be providing supervision for the remainder of your clinical experience.

If I change my supervisor do I need to report this to the board?

Yes. The temporary licensee must notify the board immediately in writing of any proposed change in supervisor(s) and obtain approval of any change in supervisor(s).

Can I have more than one supervisor?

Yes, you may have more than one supervisor but each supervisor must be approved by the Board. Regardless of the number of supervisors you have you will still be required to complete a minimum of two years of full-time supervised professional work experience in mental health counseling.

Can I continue to practice with a temporary license after my clinical experience is complete?

Within 30 days of completion of the supervised clinical experience, the attestation of the completed supervised experience must be submitted to the board office.

What is the fee for a temporary license? If I have already completed a portion of my clinical experience will you prorate the fee?

The nonrefundable application fee for a temporary license is $120. The fee will not be prorated.

Will I be required to pay another application fee when I apply for a permanent license?

Yes. The $120 nonrefundable application fee is required for each license you apply for.

License Application

How can I apply for a license?

See "Apply, Renew, and Reactivate" listed on the left.

If I am not approved for licensure in Iowa, will I receive my application fee back?

           No, application fees are non-refundable.

Name & Address Changes

How can I make an address and/or name change?

See Name Change listed on the left.

Address changes can be made by updating your profile. Log in to your online account by clicking on this link:

Duplicate Certificate or Wallet Card

How can I get a duplicate license?

Click here for information on requesting a duplicate license.

Continuing Education

Where can I find information about continuing education?

See the "Continuing Education" page on this site for specific information regarding your continuing education.


See "Apply, Renew, and Reactivate" listed on the left. Click on Renew.

Can I use the extra continuing education hours that I earned from my previous renewal for the present renewal?

The only time this is allowed is for your second renewal.

For those newly licensed, continuing education is not required for the first license renewal. Any continuing education hours obtained anytime from the initial licensing date may be used for the second license renewal. After the second renewal, licensees are required to complete the full number of required continuing education hours within each compliance period. For more information see "Continuing Education" page on this website.

When does my license expire?

See the "Renewal" page on this website for specific information.

What is the license renewal fee?

See the "Fees" page on the website for specific information.

What are the required courses for mandatory reporters of child and adult abuse?

License Reactivation

How can I reactivate my license?

See "Apply, Renew, and Reactivate" listed on the left. Click on Reactivate.

List of Licensees

You can download a list of licensees at any time.  Select the tutorial below for step by step instructions.

Exporting a List of Licensees PDF

Licensure in other States

What are the requirements for licensure in another state?

You will need to contact the board in that state and find out the requirements. Our verification fee for verifying your license to another state is $20.00. Include a money order or cashier's check for that amount along with your written request. Make check payable to your specific board (e.g., Iowa Board of Athletic Training).

License Verification

How do I verify a license for a licensed professional?

Go to and select License Search. Insert your name or license number. Select your profession from the dropdown list. You may print a copy of your licensure status by selecting Print.

Disclaimer: The Bureau is responsible for maintaining all of the information on the website, including licensure information and public disciplinary action. The information provided on the website is the same information provided through verbal and mail verification, and is true and complete to the best of our knowledge.

The professional boards require primary source verification of credentials prior to issuing a license in this state. The Bureau believes this site is appropriate for verification information, but is not responsible for determining appropriateness of information compared to standards of any given organization or program.

Inactive License

How do I put my license on hold?

It is not necessary to place your license on hold. If you do not renew your license by 30 days after the license expiration date, it will automatically be placed on inactive status.


How can I file a complaint?

See "Complaints" listed on the left.

Are you concerned you are being scammed?

Each year, the Iowa Bureau is contacted by licensees who report that they have received suspicious letters, emails and calls from individuals claiming to be from the Bureau. Across the country, state licensees fall prey to scams targeting licensees in an attempt to access personal and financial information. While the Bureau will continue to prioritize responding to these inquiries quickly, the following information can help each licensee protect their information and recognize these scams.

  1. The Board rarely takes “immediate” action.
    • Board investigation takes time. The collection of information, preparation of investigative reports and deliberation by the Bureau generally takes months. If you are the subject of an investigation, a Bureau investigator will usually reach out to you concerning the allegations against you before the Bureau deliberates on whether to impose disciplinary action. Additionally, you can always contact the Bureau to confirm whether you are under investigation.
    • While the Bureau is empowered to take emergency action against a licensee who poses an immediate threat to the health or safety of Iowans, such circumstances are exceedingly rare. If the Bureau ever were to enter an emergency suspension of your license, such suspension would be issued in the form of a public order by the Bureau listing the allegations against you. You would further be entitled to a hearing before the Bureau as soon as practicable, and will receive further communication from the Bureau and the Attorney General’s Office.
  2. We will never threaten your licensure in exchange for payment or information.
    • Be suspicious of any communication asking for immediate payment of a fee or bond. The Bureau only collects money from licensees in two instances: During the licensure and renewal process and upon entry of a final order of the Bureau following a contested case proceeding or settlement wherein the Bureau has ordered you to pay a civil penalty. Neither of those circumstances will occur without prior communication with the Bureau.
  3. Confirm that the provided contact information is accurate.
    • All contact information for the Bureau can be found on the Bureau’s website. Bureau staff email addresses end in “” and emails from the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services ends in “” When responding to communication from the Bureau, verify that the phone number and email address matches that on the Bureau’s website.
  4. When in Doubt: Contact Us!
    • If you ever have a concern that a Bureau communication may not be legitimate, or you fear that you are being targeted by a scammer, reach out to us. Contact the Bureau’s general number and email address:
    • Phone: 515-281-0254


Iowa HHS Bureau of Professional Licensure
321 E. 12th St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: (515) 281-0254
Fax: (515) 281-3121

Online Licensure Services:


Office Hours:
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding state holidays