Iowa Board of Behavioral Science - Apply, Renew and Reactivate

See left menu for Renewal and Reactivation

Application Guidelines

Temp Mental Health Counselor Licensure in Iowa

Temp Mental Health Counselor Licensure in Iowa

The document below explains the required steps to complete the application process.  While the process has several steps many of the requirements can be done simultaneously. Best practice is to apply online. 

Documents may be submitted electronically to the Board office. The Board’s fax number is 515-281-3121. Emailed documents should go to .

To expedite processing a new license request, take advantage of our secure online application.

Click here to Access Online Services or to Apply Online

Applications are reviewed by Board staff as soon as possible, in the order received, typically within 5 business days.

  • Refer to the Application Guidelines above to determine what steps you can complete while awaiting review.
  • Once your application is reviewed, you will receive an email with an attached letter indicating what additional information is required to approve the license.

Application Rules

Supervision Forms

Supervision prior to July 20, 2022
Supervision starting after July 20, 2022

Exam Information

Mental Health Counselor
National Board For Certified Counselors, Inc.
3 Terrace Way, Suite D
Greensboro, NC 27403-3660
Tel: (336) 547-0607
Fax: (336) 547-0017

Marital & Family Therapy
Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards
1843 Austin Bluffs Parkway
University Office Park
Colorado Springs, CO 80918
Tel: (719) 388-1615

Other Related Links

American Mental Health Counselors Association
801 N. Fairfax St., Ste 304
Alexandria, VA 22314
Tel: (800) 326-2642

Iowa Mental Health Counselors Association
16 E. 13th St.
Dubuque, IA 52001

American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
112 South Alfred Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3061
Tel: (703) 838-9808
Fax: (703) 838-9805

American Counseling Association

6101 Stevenson Ave., Suite 600
Alexandria, VA 22304
Tel: (800) 347-6647
Fax: (800) 473-2329

Iowa Chapter of ACA:



Iowa HHS Bureau of Professional Licensure
321 E. 12th St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: (515) 281-0254
Fax: (515) 281-3121

Online Licensure Services:


Office Hours:
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding state holidays