The role of the CAPPAC, formerly known as the Governor’s Advisory Council (GAC), is to assist the Department in the planning and implementation of the Iowa Child Abuse Prevention Program (ICAPP), the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) foremost approach to the prevention of child maltreatment. The duties of the advisory committee, as outlined in Iowa Code §217.3A, include all of the following:
- Advise the director of human services and the administrator of the division of the department of human services responsible for child and family programs regarding expenditures of funds received for the child abuse prevention program.
- Review the implementation and effectiveness of legislation and administrative rules concerning the child abuse prevention program.
- Recommend changes in legislation and administrative rules to the general assembly and the appropriate administrative officials.
- Require reports from state agencies and other entities as necessary to perform its duties.
- Receive and review complaints from the public concerning the operation and management of the child abuse prevention program.
- Approve grant proposals.
Members of the Child Abuse Prevention Program Advisory Committee (CAPPAC) are appointed by the Council on Human Services. Membership includes representatives of child abuse prevention service providers, service consumers, and others who have training or knowledge related to child abuse prevention services.
Full membership for this committee was confirmed in 2019. We are looking to fill up to four new positions. Individuals interested in serving on the Child Abuse Prevention Program Advisory Committee must submit a completed membership application by June 1, 2023. Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.