WIC - How to Apply

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children is an American federal assistance program of the Food and Nutrition Service of the United States Department of Agriculture for healthcare and nutrition of low-income pregnant women, breastfeeding women and children under the age of five. 

Do I Qualify for WIC Food Assistance in Iowa?

To find out if you qualify for WIC, you must:

If you think you may qualify, call your local WIC agency and make an appointment.

How Do I Apply for WIC Food Assistance in Iowa?

 To apply call your local WIC program and make an appointment. To find the agency closest to you:

  • Click here to use the map, OR
  • If you live in Iowa, call the state office at 1-800-532-1579 .
  • If you live outside of Iowa, call the state office at 1-515-281-6650 .

Frequently Asked Questions About Iowa WIC

What Do I Need to Bring to My First WIC Appointment?

After scheduling your WIC appointment, you need to bring the following with you to your appointment:

  1. Proof of Iowa Address: Bring proof of address to your appointment. One of the following items that have your current address on it will work:
    • A current utility bill, a rent or mortgage receipt
    • A driver's license, Iowa non-driver ID, voter registration
    • Public assistance notification or identification such as Medicaid, hawk-I, FIP, and Food Stamps (SNAP)
  2. Proof of Identity: Bring proof of identity to your appointment. Examples of acceptable forms of I.D. include:
    • Valid driver's license, non-driver I.D., passport/visa, social security card, work or school I.D. card
    • Medicaid or Health Benefit card, pay stubs
    • Matricula Consular Card, immunization record, other medical or health record (including crib cards)
    • Birth certificate, voter registration, and eWIC card
  3. Proof of Income: Bring proof of your household income. Some examples of proof to bring in are:
    • Pay stubs, unemployment benefit checks, award notices, business records, a signed statement from your employer, or income tax forms.
    • Applicants certified as eligible for certain other assistance programs are automatically income eligible for the WIC program.
    • Bring proof of the following to automatically qualify as income eligible:
      • Certified as eligible to receive Food Stamps (SNAP), Medicaid or FIP; presumptively eligible for either FIP or Medicaid
      • Applicant for Medicaid Home and Community Based Ill and Handicapped Services, Intellectual Disability, AIDS/HIV, or Brain Injured Waiver Program
      • Member of a household with a FIP recipient or a pregnant woman or an infant currently on Medicaid

How Do I Appeal a WIC Disqualification or Non-Qualification?

You have the right to a hearing if you wish to appeal a disqualification or decision that you do not qualify for WIC. Your appeal rights are explained below.

  • Send a written request for a hearing to your local WIC agency within 90 days of receiving this notice.
  • The hearing officer will schedule a hearing within 21 days of receiving your request. You will receive notice of the time, place and date at least 10 days before the hearing.
  • Before and during the hearing, you have the right to read all of the public documents on file about the decision that is under appeal.
  • During the hearing you may speak for yourself or be assisted by a relative, friend, other person, or lawyer at your expense; bring witnesses; question or refute any testimony or evidence; question any adverse witnesses; and provide evidence to establish facts and circumstances related to your case.
  • The local hearing officer will issue a written decision within 45 days of your request for the hearing unless a longer time period is agreed upon by both parties.
  • Either party may appeal the written decision to the Division Director, Division of Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention, Iowa Department of Public Health. This appeal must be made within 15 days of the mailing date of the decision made by the local hearing officer. The procedures listed above must be followed for a second appeal about the decision.

Who Do I Contact If I Have Problems or Issues with my eWIC Card?

The Iowa WIC Program wants to know about any issues you have using your eWIC card. If you have experienced a problem with your eWIC Card or want to make a complaint, email the WIC Office.