The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Public Housing Authorities (PHAs) must be smoke-free, as of July 31, 2018. Smoking may not be allowed anywhere inside of the building, or within 25 feet of any building on public housing grounds.

Find a list of all Public Housing Authorities in Iowa

Iowa HHS also has resources to provide site visits and technical assistance to increase accessibility for Iowans with disabilities in rental units. The goal is to create a livable environment, and the surveys and recommendations are informational only.

Affordable Housing Assistance Programs

Privately Owned Subsidized Housing

The government gives funds to apartment owners who offer lower rent to low-income tenants.

  • Available for individuals, families, seniors and persons with disabilities
  • Income restrictions

Applicant applies with the management office of the rental property they are interested in. Search for low-rent apartments here:

Public Housing

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides aid and assistance to local Public Housing Authorities (PHA) who provide and manage decent and safe housing.

  • Available for family, seniors, persons with disabilities, and U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status
  • Income restrictions

More information for public housing can be found on the HUD website.

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)

Local Public Housing Authorities (PHA) administer vouchers to be used for market-rate housing that will agree to rent under the program.

  • Available for very low-income families, seniors and persons with disabilities
  • Participants are responsible for finding suitable housing
  • The PHA pays the landlord a housing subsidy on behalf of the renter
  • Renter pays the difference between the market-rate rent and amount of the subsidy.

Find more information about the housing choice voucher program.

Additional Resources

HUD Smoke-Free Public Housing Fact Sheets