Are you in immediate crisis or having suicidal thoughts? Are you worried about a friend or family member? Is your child or teen in emotional distress?
Call 9-8-8 on your phone or text 9-8-8 on your smartphone any time, day or night. You can also chat the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline for free, 24/7..
The national 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is a network of local crisis centers that provide free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the US. From kids to grandparents to college students, 988 has trained crisis counselors who can help Iowans of any age. We can all help prevent suicide. There is hope.
- Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Hearing Loss: The network of crisis centers offers many services for people who are deaf and hard of hearing, including veterans.
- 988 FAQs: Have a question? Question categories include texting and chatting 988, what do do if there are challenges connecting with 988, if there are TTY services, how the 988 number will appear on your phone bill, what areas 988 serves, and geolocation capabilities, among others.
- SAMHSA Partner Toolkit: The 988 Partner Toolkit is a one-stop shop for social media, video, print, radio, FAQs, messaging, and other marketing materials for anyone to use to promote awareness of 988. We encourage you to take any items within the Toolkit and use them as a starting or finishing point towards promoting the 988 Lifeline.
- About 988: The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is a leader in suicide prevention and mental health crisis care. Since its inception, the Lifeline has engaged in a variety of initiatives to improve crisis services and advance suicide prevention for all Iowans, including innovative public messaging, best practices in mental health, and groundbreaking partnerships.
- Your Life Iowa (YLI): Are you looking for other resources for you or a loved one? Are you a parent or guardian of a teen that needs help? Your Life Iowa walks beside you so you’re never alone. When you don’t know who to turn to about a problem with alcohol, drugs, gambling, suicidal thoughts or mental health, Your Life Iowa is there for you 24/7. They provide free, confidential support and connect you to resources or treatment options meant to help you get your life back on track.