Working to reduce the harm caused by problem gambling by funding a range of services for Iowans.
The Office of Problem Gambling Prevention & Treatment Services provides funding for the Substance Use and Problem Gambling Services Integrated Provider Network (IPN) grant to ensure Iowans have accessible problem gambling prevention and treatment services. Problem gambling is defined as participation in any form of gambling activity that creates one or more negative consequences to the individual, their family or loved ones, employer or community.
Iowa HHS receives an appropriation from the State General Fund and the Sports Wagering Tax Receipt Fund for addiction services.
Problem Gambling Prevention Services
Through the IPN grant, problem gambling primary prevention services reach all 99 counties in Iowa. Prevention services are offered to Iowans across the lifespan and are available for schools, community groups, employers, casinos and more. Health Promotion is funded by Iowa HHS to raise awareness of problem gambling and responsible gambling. For more information about Prevention and Health Promotion, email email@example.com.
Gambling Disorder Treatment Services
Through the IPN grant, treatment for a gambling disorder is available for individuals experiencing negative impacts from gambling.
- Outpatient Counseling (including tele-health options)
- Crisis Intervention
- Individual and Group Counseling
- Financial counseling (including budgeting and debt reduction plans)
- Recovery Support Services which are client-selected provider or community-based supports and services intended to enhance and further the client’s recovery journey.
About 1-800-BETS OFF
Do you need to connect with someone about you or a loved one’s gambling? If so, 1-800-BETS OFF is here and ready help 24/7. Visit Your Life Iowa (YLI) at yourlifeiowa.org/gambling, or call (855-581-8111) or text (855-895-8398) options.
Data You Can Use
The Office of Problem Gambling Prevention and Treatment Services provides funding that supports research activities to assist in evaluating current programming, as well as identifies state trends to best meet the needs of Iowans impacted by gambling related harms.
State Fiscal Year Annual Reports
- SFY 2023 Annual Report (will be posted in 2024)
- State Fiscal Year 2022 Annual Report
- State Fiscal Year 2021 Annual Report
- 2021 Iowa Health, Wellbeing, Use of Substances and Gambling Survey
- 2021 Iowa Youth Survey State Report
Behavioral Health Risk Factor Surveillance System
Find more information on the BRFSS webpage.
Order or Print 1-800-BETS OFF Resources
- Found on the YLI Resource Center