On this page...
Iowa HHS licenses and monitors approximately 100 substance use disorder and problem gambling treatment programs. Staff assist programs through the licensure process and help Iowans find the appropriate treatment, as well as respond to and resolve complaints received against substance use disorder and problem gambling treatment programs.
Substance Use Disorders
The SAPG Data Help Desk is here to help with questions and provide technical assistance on prevention and treatment data reporting requirements and related data systems. The Help Desk can be reached via phone at 866-339-7913 (toll free), or via email at SAPGData@idph.iowa.gov.
Help Desk hours are M-F from 9-3 (excluding holidays). Calls to the help desk are directed to a voice mail system which transcribes the messages. When leaving a message, please speak slowly and clearly to ensure an accurate transcription. Please be sure to include your name, agency, phone number, best time to be reached, and the nature of the assistance needed. Help Desk personnel will respond to your request within 1 business day.
Substance Use Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Center for Substance Abuse Research (CESAR)
- Drug Enforcement Adminstration
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Office of National Drug Control Policy
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
The Legal Action Center has sample forms and materials for substance use disorder treatment programs. These forms found on this page comply with HIPAA and the recent amendments to 42 C.F.R. Part 2. Please continue to check this page for new, updated sample forms and materials.
Important Reminder: State laws and court rules may affect the content of court or administrative orders, as well as the proper procedure for seeking and issuing such an order. Always consult with local counsel on matters of state law.
Substance Use Reports & Data
The Iowa HHS Division of Behavioral Health collects client data from licensed substance use disorder treatment agencies to meet state and federal data (TEDS, etc.) reporting requirements. Iowa HHS uses data to assist in decision making for system/network improvements, provider service delivery (access, engagement, retention, and completion of treatment), and linkages to associated services and support.
Iowa Behavioral Health Reporting System (IBHRS)
Iowa HHS is pleased to announce that IBHRS, the new statewide integrated substance use disorder and problem gambling treatment reporting system which launched on July 1, 2021. IBHRS fulfills the integration of licensure and data reporting requirements set in motion by Senate File 2425 (2008) and House File 811 (2009), where the Iowa Legislature directed the Department to align SUD and problem gambling (PG) treatment systems. IBHRS combines SUD and PG data model and has extensive validation rules to ensure data submitted to IBHRS meets the Department’s standards.
Each month, Iowa HHS conducts Data Integrity checks to ensure that data reported is complete and accurate. Data Integrity Reports are sent via encrypted mail on the 17th of the month. Agencies are expected to review their individual reports and to make the corrections noted by the 15th of the following month.
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS)
- Data, Publications, and Reports (Bureau of Substance Abuse)
- Iowa Prescription Monitoring Program (PMP) - Annual Reports
- Iowa Public Health Tracking Portal - Substance Use and Misuse
- Iowa Violent Death Reporting System (IAVDRS)
- Iowa Youth Survey
- Vital Statistics of Iowa Annual Reports (link)
- Your Life Iowa Contacts - Topic and County
Program Licensure and Regulation
The Licensure Standards for Substance Use Disorder and Problem Gambling Treatment Programs (IAC 641, Chapter 155) were revised in May 2015. The revised standards govern all substance use disorder and problem gambling program licenses and applications. Programs licensed under the previous standards are encouraged to review and understand the current standards prior to reapplication for licensure.
The licensure standards can be found at https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/aco/chapter/641.155.pdf. As stated in the standards, IDPH will proceed with an application following receipt of a complete application that includes all required materials and that is responsive to all licensure standards. If you have questions or need assistance with the application process please contact 515-242-6162.
All application or re-application are to be submitted to SUD.PG.License@idph.iowa.gov .
Below are the links to additional information to assist with application or re-application
- Adult Residential Checklist
- Juvenile Residential Checklist
- Outpatient Program Checklist
- Assessment and OWI Checklist
- Risk Assessment Iowa Licensed Substance Abuse Facilities
- Licensure Standards for Substance Use Disorder and Problem Gambling Treatment Programs (IAC 641, Chapter 155)
- Chemical Substance Abuse (Iowa Code chapter 125)
- 42 CFR Part 2 (Federal Confidentiality Regulations)
- American Society for Addiction Medicine Criteria
- Drinking Drivers Course (IAC 281, chapter 21)
- Chapter 157 OWI
- Medication Assisted Treatment (SAMHSA)
- Operating While Intoxicated (Iowa Code chapter 321J)
- Gambling Treatment Program Standards and Licensing (Iowa Code chapter 135.150)
Back to top