FIP is Iowa's Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program and provides cash assistance to needy families as they become self-supporting so that children may be cared for in their own homes or in the homes of relatives.


Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)

The Refugee Cash Assistance program provides cash assistance for up to twelve months to needy families, including single adults, who enter the United States as refugees who are not eligible for the Family Investment Program. Unless determined exempt, refugees must cooperate with work and training requirements of the RCA programs.

Additional Help

Any local HHS office can answer questions about the programs and services described here. Contact the local HHS office serving the county where you live (County HHS Office Locations). The local HHS office serving your county is also listed in the State or County Government section of your local phone book, under "Department of Health and Human Services" or just "Human Services". You may also contact the HHS Division of Community Access by calling 1-800- 972-2017.

Rights: You have the right to ask for an appeal if you disagree with a decision Iowa HHS makes. You have the right to ask for an exception to policy for an item or service not otherwise covered by Iowa HHS.