Requests for Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Information in Iowa
State Agencies or those contracted with the State Agency to provide a service requiring registry checks use form 460-0643 “Request for Child and Dependent Adult Abuse Information”.
Processing time is between 5-10 business days, on average.
The Abuse Registry is currently processing forms received on December 7, 2023.
Form can be sent the following ways:
- Mail to: Iowa HHS Attn: Central Abuse Registry, PO Box 4826, Des Moines, IA 50305
- Faxed or emailed using the information below
The requestor will receive response from HHS informing if there IS or IS NOT a record of child abuse listing the person as responsible for a founded, registry placed child abuse assessment. Upon further request, the central abuse registry can provide more specific report data.
Information regarding re-dissemination, criminal penalties, and appeals are included on the requesting form.
Key points to ensure the forms come in without issues which prevent us returning unprocessed:
- Forms should clearly identify the requesting State Agency, and the name of the agency representative in the top requestor fields
- The forms should state "child care provider check" in the "Purpose for Request" field
- Iowa HHS is unable to process a request for Dependent Adult Abuse Information without also receiving form 470-3301 filled out by the potential child care provider/employee. Any record check request for dependent adult abuse, absent this authorization, will be denied.
- If registry checks will be requested directly by the potential child care provider or child care center directors, form 470-3301 must be used in lieu of 460-0643.
- Any forms lacking required signatures will be returned, unprocessed.
Requests for Criminal History Record Checks in Iowa
Iowa is a participant in the Interstate Identification Index (III) and National Fingerprint File (NFF). Agencies from outside of Iowa may request criminal history record checks by doing the following:
- Go to https://dps.iowa.gov/divisions/criminal-investigation/criminal-history/record-check-forms
- Download Criminal History Request form and Criminal History Billing form and complete.
- Submit them to the address or fax number on the forms with payment. Fee is required unless the request is submitted by law enforcement or a criminal justice agency.
- DCI will not accept any requests sent via email.
- Iowa Sex Offender Registry https://www.iowasexoffender.gov/