Related Topics:

Programs & Services

State Supplementary Assistance (SSA) is a fully state-funded program that was designed to meet the additional special needs of aged, blind, and disabled people not met by the standard benefit rate paid by Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Iowa's SSA program covers 6 categories of special needs:

  1. Blind allowance

  2. Dependent Person allowance

  3. Family Life Home assistance

  4. In-Home Health-Related Care assistance

  5. Residential Care Facility assistance

  6. Supplement for Medicare and Medicaid Eligible

State Supplementary Assistance Standards

(Effective January 1, 2024)

Family Home Life


Payment to Family


Personal Needs Allowance


Payment Standard




Dependent Person


Maximum Payment


Aged or Disabled Client and Dependent Relative


Aged or Disabled Client, Eligible Spouse, and Dependent Relative


Blind Client and Dependent Relative


Blind Client, Aged or Disabled Spouse, and Dependent Relative    


Blind Client, Blind Spouse, and Dependent Relative




Residential Care Facility


Personal Needs Allowance


Flat per Diem Rate


Maximum Cost-Related per Diem Rate


Who does the State Supplementary Assistance cover?

People eligible for State Supplementary Assistance must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be aged, blind, or disabled according to Social Security standards.

  • Be a resident of Iowa.

  • Receive SSI or would receive SSI except for excess income.

  • Have resources of $2,000 or below for a single person, or $3,000 or below for a married couple living together.

  • Have income less than the income limit for the State Supplementary Assistance group.



  • What services are covered by State Supplementary Assistance?
    Coverage of specific medical services under State Supplementary Assistance is subject to the same general conditions and restrictions that are applicable in regular Medicaid.
  • Where can I get services?
    You may receive these services from any Iowa Medicaid provider.
  • How do I apply for State Supplementary Assistance? 
    To apply for State Supplementary Assistance, use the DHS benefits portal and complete the application or, download a paper application: English  |  Spanish.