Related Topics:

Programs & Services

Who Gets Child Support Services?

Child Support Services helps people who:

  • Are receiving public assistance such as Family Investment Program (FIP) benefits, foster care services, and in some situations, Medicaid benefits
  • Received public assistance in the past. Unless the payee notifies us not to, we continue to provide child support services when a family stops getting public assistance
  • Apply for Child Support Services. You may apply for Iowa Child Support Services online by going to the Apply for Child Support Services page on the CSS website. You can request an application from any local office
  • Live in other states but need services from us because the other parent lives or works in Iowa.

Foster Care & Child Support

What You Need to Know About Paying Child Support While Your Child is in Foster Care

This page contains answers to frequently asked questions about paying child support while your child is in foster care in Iowa. For information about your specific case, contact the Child Support Services (CSS) Foster Care Case Manager at 515-962-5400, or visit the Child Support Services Offices page for additional contact information.

All parents are responsible for the support of their children. This information explains the financial responsibility parents have as a result of their child being in foster care. Foster care includes voluntary or court-ordered placement of a child in family foster care, shelter care, group care, or independent living.

When your child is in foster care, you receive legal notices and additional information from the CSS. Take the time to read these important materials and respond within the requested time periods. Legal action can be taken even, if you do not respond in a timely manner.

Foster Care & Child Support Services FAQs

Child Support Resources